Dinersaur

Friday, February 23, 2007

Kelly's Diner: Somerville MA

We've heard great things about Kelly's Diner in Somerville. Its Ball Square location makes it convenient, and a favorite, of both students and locals. We picked up our friend James in Cambridge and set out to try it out. A line out the front door is a good sign, but not proof. (People wait in line for bad food, too! Hello, Cheesecake Factory?) While waiting I noticed the cool custom grill work on the stairs with red "K"s. Nice touch.

When we made it to the front of the line, we spent a few minutes standing uncomfortably squeezed between a James Dean statue and an oversized 1950's style jukebox. Looking around, I noticed the stereotypical Betty Boop and Marilyn paraphernalia as well. While I generally dislike this sort of stuff at diners, I will give Kelly's a little leeway because it is a 1953 O'Mahoney diner. Unlike 50's stuff decorating a diner from the 30's, at least this one is in the right era. I couldn't help but think that they could've fit an extra booth or server station where the jukebox was taking up space.

The menu had a nice selection, I decided to go with my standard Veggie & Cheese Omelet. Feeling decadent, I added a grilled bagel. The first thing i noticed when the food arrived was the home fries. Were they actually hash browns? (A regional debate that we need to write up on its own someday soon.) Sadly, they turned out to me massively overcooked home fries; left in the steam pan so long that they were bland, chunky mashed potatoes. I don't remember any details about the omelet except that it was bland. Grilled bagel = always delicious.

Darius ordered a Monte Christo from the lunch menu, so it came with potato salad and a pickle. Even though it came with lots of meat, there was nothing memorable about the taste of the sandwich, and the potato salad was "ok". James ordered a Mexican Omelet from the specials board, and really enjoyed it. I believe it had salsa, cheese, and probably some type of meat in it.

People who live near it claim that Kelly's in the best breakfast in the area. I was a waitress for many years, so I know full well that our bland food may have been anomaly of a busy Sunday, short staff, or new cook. We will certainly try it again before forming our final opinion of this place.

(google map)
674 Broadway
Somerville, MA 02144
(617) 623-8102

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:44 AM, Blogger Marc said...

I live in the are and have friends who have been to Kelly's. They mostly love the place. I haven't been yet, but want to try it soon. A few places I do like in the area that are similar include Mul's Diner in South Boston and McKenna's in Dorchester. The Arlington Diner in East Arlington isn't bad, either.

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger New HipHop Lyrics said...

Hey, just looking around some blogs, seems a pretty nice platform you are using. I'm currently using Wordpress for a few of my sites but looking to change one of them over to a platform similar to yours as a trial run. Anything in particular you would recommend about it? Agen Bola Sbobet Ibcbet Taruhan Bola

 

Post a Comment

<< Home